Resurrection Memorial Garden
Planning for a sacred final resting place
A sacred final resting place
The new Resurrection Memorial Garden provides a beautiful and meaningful final resting place on the grounds of the church that you have loved and served. Inurnment in the memorial garden is an alternative to burial for those who consider Church of the Resurrection their church home, along with their immediate family members. The garden will be located beneath the Resurrection stained glass window, just north of the Leawood sanctuary, making it a welcoming, sacred and private place for loved ones to spend time in remembrance, prayer and reflection.
Like the Resurrection Window, the Resurrection Memorial Garden continues the theme of gardens from the Bible. The design includes a columbarium, a landscaped garden with walkways and seating benches, and an inspirational water feature. The columbarium is an arrangement of stone walls with openings in which urns containing the cremated remains of the deceased loved ones are placed for permanent inurnment. Bronze plaques on the niches are engraved with the names and life dates of those inurned.
The Memorial Garden is being constructed in phases. The first phase is a courtyard with a free-standing stone wall containing 900 individual niches, a water feature, and infrastructure (site development, fencing, electrical and plumbing). Additional courtyards, stone walls and niches will be constructed as needed. Plans include nine courtyards to accommodate 5,100 niches.
The cost of purchasing a niche in the Resurrection Memorial Garden is $2,750 through December 31, 2018, subject to increase after that date. The cost includes one individual niche, opening and closing for inurnment, one standard urn, a bronze blank cover for the niche, record-keeping and maintenance. Not included is the cost of cremation and the engraved inscription on the bronze niche cover.
Purchasing and selecting a niche
- Review the Memorial Garden Agreement. You may download the agreement here or pick up a copy at the Church of the Resurrection reception desk (Building C, off Roe).
- Return your completed agreement and payment to: The Church of the Resurrection, 13720 Roe Ave., Leawood, KS 66224, Attention: Memorial Garden Administrator. Payment must accompany the signed agreement. Payment by check is preferred. The Finance Department can process credit card payments in person Monday – Thursday, between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm.
- When the church receives your agreement and payment, you will be sent an online link to schedule an appointment to select your niche. If you need assistance scheduling online, contact the church at (913) 897-0120.
- At your niche selection appointment, the Memorial Garden administrator will work with you individually to select a niche for you and/or your loved ones. This appointment may be handled by phone or in person.
- A final copy of your agreement with the identifying number of the niche you have purchased will be mailed to you.
Questions and Answers
Why are we building a new Memorial Garden?
Why inurnment in a columbarium instead of burial?
What does the Scripture say about cremation?
Do I have to be a member of Church of the Resurrection to own or use a niche in the Garden?
When will the Resurrection Memorial Garden be built and open?
The Resurrection Memorial Garden will take approximately 10 months to complete. The first phase of construction began in October 2018.